Sunday, May 30, 2010

New Supergerm: C.Diff "NAP1''

Good evening everyone,

How's everybody enjoying their Memorial Weekend so far? I know I am :-) Anyways, this evening I have a rather interesting article for your reading enjoyment. It discusses how phoenix area hospitals are fighting a highly toxic 'supergerm'. This 'supergerm' is a new strain of Clostridium difficile known in medical circles as "NAP1".



Like other "supergerms," all strains of C. diff are resistant to powerful antibiotics, and the infection is difficult and expensive to treat. The germ causes pronounced diarrhea and, in severe cases, can lead to inflammation of the colon, which can be fatal.

According to health professionals, it is believed that this strain of C. diff is linked to patient illness and deaths in Arizona. It carries at least 20 times as much toxin as the original strain. At least 10 patients have fallen severely ill from this new type of C. diff since early March. Two of those who were infected have died, though the germ has not been named conclusively as the cause of death. All the patients were elderly and suffered from health problems. Crazy, right?

With that being said, I know you're probably wondering how do you prevent the spread of this strain of C. diff... Well, the best ways to deter C. diff is with bleach and aggressive hand-washing. Therefore, I strongly recommend everyone take proper precautions. I wouldn't want anyone to get sick. On that note, I conclude this post. I hope you found it beneficial. Have a wonderful evening! Take care. Peace, Love, and God Bless. This is 'thedoc' and I'm signing out. 1.

For more on this topic, click here!

P.S.
I urge everyone to be safe this weekend. There's alot of crazy people out there during this long weekend. Please don't drink & drive. Drink responsibly! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment